The IRS, the states and the tax industry are committed to protecting you from identity theft. Working together, many changes have been made to combat identity theft, and progress is being made. However, cybercriminals are constantly evolving. We need you to join with us. By taking a few simple steps, you can better protect your personal and financial data online and at home.
Please consider these steps to protect yourself from identity thieves:
- Keep your computer secure
- Avoid phishing and malware
- Protect personal information
Additional steps you can take:
- Check your credit report annually; check your bank and credit card statements often;
- Review your Social Security Administration records annually: Sign up for My Social Security at www.ssa.gov.
- If you are an identity theft victim whose tax account is affected, review www.irs.gov/identifytheft for details.