Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Sofa Sunday, Cyber Monday, and don’t forget Giving Tuesday. Giving Tuesday is a global giving movement the Tuesday following Thanksgiving, which is strategically placed on the calendar when individuals and corporations focus on their holiday and year-end giving. This year alone, the movement has facilitated the donation of $177 M in 98 countries. Does your nonprofit take advantage of #GivingTuesday?
GivingTuesday.org provides several ways to make the most of the day in its toolkit for nonprofits. Here are few ideas:
- Get Creative: Many nonprofits are personalizing #GivingTuesday to fit the identity and mission of the nonprofit. Examples include #GivingZooDay or #GivingShoesDay.
- Matching Requests: Many donors work for companies that match donations made by employees. Encourage your donors to submit matching gift requests, which doubles the gift amount.
- Matching Grants: Ask board members or sponsors to put up a matching gift. You can use this to incentivize new or larger donations or to kick off your end-of-year campaign.
- Get Social and Mobile: #GivingTuesday is a great day to engage your online community and transform followers and fans into donors.
- Volunteering: Organize a volunteer project for your organization. Invite donors, employees and your neighbors to get together to celebrate giving by creating a day of service.
Ideas like these along with case studies can be found online at www.GivingTuesday.org. There you can also discover ways for individuals, foundations and companies to get involved in the movement.